The NFL’s bullying scandal has dominated headlines for much of November and spurred debate. The subject of harassment also has sparked reflections from several ESPN personalities about their own bullying incidents, past and present.
• Dick Vitale, college basketball analyst, shared his experience with cruel taunts that have followed him for years.
• Samantha Ponder, College GameDay reporter, weighed in on how social media amplifies the spotlight — and criticism.
by Sheldon Spencer
ICYMI: Highlights from the past week on Front Row
• The Lineup: 11 ESPN ‘selfies’ celebrating the 2013 Word of the Year.
• ESPN Digital Media launched an all-new SportsCenter app this week for both iOS and Android smartphones. Learn more about the features of the new app.
• ESPN’s “El Tri” commentator team of Fernando Palomo, Alejandro Moreno and reporter John Sutcliffe traveled to Wellington, New Zealand to cover the Mexico-New Zealand rematch live for U.S. English-speaking fans.
• Monday Night Football’s return to North Carolina this week provided a marquee matchup between the Patriots and Panthers as well as a “homecoming” for 10 crew members.
Row of Four
Our favorites from across ESPN over the past week
• Bill Barnwell asks before the Peyton Manning-Tom Brady matchup: Have the two iconic quarterbacks of the 21st century actually traded places?
• Holly Rowe takes a closer look at the near-death experience Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron had as a child.
• Outside the Lines: Dan Rather narrates the story of former NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle’s decision to play NFL games two days after President John F. Kennedy was assassinated.
• Enjoy an array of photos from the ESPN Images’ Images of the Week.