Whatever happened to “the replacement refs” the NFL used for a portion of the 2012 season?
In the video above, actor Jack McBrayer (30 Rock) — as a fictional NFL official — provides comical answers to that question and others host Jon Hamm asked during The 2013 ESPYS Presented by Capital One.
ESPN’s annual celebration of the best moments from the year in sports also featured a tribute to Good Morning America co-host and former SportsCenter anchor Robin Roberts, recipient of the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage.
LeBron James presented the award to Roberts, who has battled cancer and MDS — a rare blood disorder.
ICYMI: Highlights from the past week on Front Row
• Go behind the scenes of NFL Live’s feature on the making of the football-oriented movie Draft Day starring Kevin Costner, Denis Leary and Jennifer Garner.
• A few years ago, David Pollack was a three-time All-American defensive end at the University of Georgia. Now an ESPN college football analyst working during the recent SEC Media Days, Pollack recalls what it was like to be a star athlete in the middle of the media swarm.
• A closer look at ESPN’s Home Run Derby distance tracker with producer Scott Matthews and content systems integration specialist Kim Bloomstone.
• Keith Olbermann is returning to ESPN2 with daily late-night show in August. Olbermann’s first SportsCenter producer, Norby Williamson, reflects on then and now.
• Nine for IX film Let Them Wear Towels spotlights female sports journalists’ battle for equal access. Filmmakers Ricki Stern and Annie Sundberg discussed the making of the film.
Row of Four
Our favorites from across ESPN over the past week
• ESPN Ombudsman Robert Lipsyte: Viewers weather Dwight Howard storm
• In The Game With Robin Roberts featuring basketball legend Cynthia Cooper-Dyke
• Grantland’s Bill Barnwell names the best QB’s throughout NFL history
• Enjoy an array of photos from ESPN Images