ESPN’s “Journalism Showcase” – August 25, 2017
In the above video, Outside the Lines reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada shares his approach to reporting on Sunday’s E:60 and his ESPN The Magazine feature on former NFL player Rickey Dixon, who is suffering from ALS. The two pieces also offer a glimpse into the lives of a growing number of women left to take care of men whose brains have been addled from years of playing football.
Molly Mita produced the video above.
- In the final original SportsCenter SC Featured segment of 2017, reporter Chris Connelly relays how comedian Kevin Hart is using the influence of his celebrity to inspire his fans to stay fit. “Keep Laughing, Keep Moving” debuts in the 10 a.m. ET Sunday edition of SportsCenter and will re-air in other editions throughout the day. SC Featured will return following football season.
- At TheUndefeated.com, Soraya Nadia McDonald and Lonnae O’Neal explore the complexities of Floyd Mayweather still boxing despite his repeated and documented instances of domestic abuse.
- USC’s Sam Darnold landed on the cover of the upcoming ESPN The Magazine College Football Preview Issue, out Sept. 4. Molly Knight profiles Darnold, the quarterback that has been known to perform best under pressure in “Sam Darnold Isn’t Worried,” now on ESPN.com.
- The SC Featured:“The Heights” piece and producer Susan Ansman from the ESPN Features Unit have been honored with a 2017 Imagen Award. The piece told the story of a Little League organization in New York City run by police and dedicated to the memory of fallen NYPD officers.
- Reporter Sal Paolantonio goes behind-the-scenes at T-Mobile Arena with a 30-second look at the arena set up for Saturday night’s fight – and Friday’s weigh-in – between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor.