Today, ESPN begins a two-week tribute honoring NBA legend Michael Jordan leading up to his 50th birthday on Sunday, Feb. 17.
The multiplatform celebration includes vignettes on SportsCenter remembering Jordan’s legacy, a robust slate of Jordan’s greatest performances on ESPN Classic and SportsCenter’s Top 50 Jordan highlights with fan participation determining the Top 10.
Among the notable figures contributing to the project are NBA Commissioner David Stern, NBA All-Stars LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant and Chris Paul, Basketball Hall of Famer and ESPN analyst Bobby Knight and Grammy Award-winning hip-hop artist COMMON.
To light the first candle on the Jordan birthday cake, Front Row asked our NBA commentators, analysts and reporters one important question: If you could get Michael Jordan anything for his birthday, what would it be?
The ideas for the North Carolina grad, Chicago Bulls’ six-time NBA champion and Charlotte Bobcats chairman are both insightful and amusing.
What do you get the greatest player to play in the NBA for his birthday, especially when he has all he wants? I decided to give Michael a Birthday Basket which includes the following:
• Two season tickets to the Duke Blue Devils men’s basketball games
• A Duke, home jersey, No. 23
• A year’s supply of Powerade
• And, if it existed, a signed copy of former Chicago Bulls General Manager Jerry Krause’s book How Management Wins NBA Championships Year After Year, with a foreword by Phil Jackson.
If I could give Michael Jordan anything for his 50th birthday, I would give him back the game, Dec. 23, 1988, when I hit a buzzer beating shot over him and his Chicago Bulls for the expansion Charlotte Hornets. I’m sure that loss has haunted him his entire career.
A 10-game winning streak and $30M in salary cap room.
Jerry West, Donnie Walsh? Hopefully, he will get the message! Mike needs some help putting together a playoff team. On a serious note, I would thank him for all he has done for this sport that has been a blessing to me and my family.
I would give him a one-game contract just to watch what he could do for one night in the current NBA.
The Ultimate Franck Muller watch, because of all of his accomplishments, his legacy continues like the finest timepieces in the world.
A Charlotte Bobcat with half of his combination of athleticism, fundamental skills, basketball IQ and determination. That would at least get them into the playoffs.
• Swim lessons. It’s unacceptable for the greatest athlete of all time to be afraid of pools, ocean, lakes etc.
• AlterG Treadmill to help the 50-year-old stay in shape.
• A GameReady to keep that swelling down.
• A lifetime supply of epsom salts for the 5 p.m. hot bath before bedtime. Happy Birthday, Michael!
I would give him a bat that could hit curveballs and a golf swing like Fred Couples.
Share your own gift ideas for Air Jordan on the occasion of his 50th birthday by using the hashtag, #MJat50gifts