New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft is quietly creating an emerging tradition in the NFL – turning his owner’s box into one of the most exciting places to be on any given game day.
Each game at Gillette Stadium, Kraft invites an eclectic group of celebrities to watch his Patriots play. Kraft’s guests have included Donald Trump, Henry Kissinger, Virgin Group’s Richard Branson, media mogul Les Moonves, music legends Bon Jovi, Steven Tyler, Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, actors Mark Wahlberg, Dan Aykroyd and Pamela Anderson, Tiger Woods and journalist Scott Pelley.
Kraft’s game day guests will be the subject of a Sunday NFL Countdown feature (ESPN, 10 a.m. ET) produced by ESPN associate producer Zachary Budman and reporter Chris Connelly. The video above shows a segment of an interview with Trump about the Patriots’ experience.
“Who would have thought Robert Kraft’s owner’s box would be the coolest place to be for an NFL game?” said Countdown’s coordinating producer Greg Jewell. “This is just one of those very interesting and unique stories that add a different perspective to our three-hour show.”
The story will include interviews with some of Kraft’s guests over time, such as Trump, Aerosmith’s Tyler and Boston-native Wahlberg.
Beyond watching the Patriots play, the celebrities laud Kraft’s hospitality and the cuisine in his owner’s box.
“They were the best hot dogs that I’ve ever tasted in my life,” said Ozzy Osbourne. “I kept going, ‘Darling, can you get me another dog, darling?’ I was thinking they’re going to think I’m stuffed. I’ve never had a hot dog like that.”
By Mac Nwulu
Video produced by Dave Williams
ICYMI: Highlights from the past week on Front Row
• This week’s Throwback Thursday featured a photo of Pete Axthelm, Tom Jackson and Chris Berman taking in the Sunday games in ESPN’s newsroom in 1987. Berman is also featured in a new NFL Countdown promo.
• The Lineup: Meet 12 ‘behind the glass’ folks who help bring ESPN Audio into your life.
• Chris Hassel, a SportsCenter anchor who joined ESPN in Jan. 2013, shared some interesting facts about himself including: favorite memories from his ESPN audition, favorite sports moments and more.
• Monday Night Football has been using HeroCam segments this season. The cameras show a unique perspective of some of the game’s top players.
Row of Four
Our favorites from across ESPN over the past week
• By David Fleming: The Marathon of Their Lives
• From Kevin Arnovitz: What we’re learning from Jason Collins
• The Grantland Dictionary: Baseball Edition
• Enjoy an array of photos from the ESPN Images’ Images of the Week