Gonzaga University’s men’s basketball team has the program’s first-ever No. 1 national ranking, an accomplishment celebrated by the Spokane, Wash. school as the ESPNU Campus Connection video above illustrates.
Tonight in the West Coast Conference Tournament semifinals, the Zags (29-2, 16-0) attempt to defend their top-ranked status when they meet upstart Loyola Marymount (11-22, 1-15) (9 p.m. ET, ESPN2, WatchESPN). Should Gonzaga end the Lions’ Cinderella run, it would play in the WCC Championship Game in Las Vegas on Monday night (9 p.m. ET, ESPN).
While Gonzaga is leading the WCC to greater prominence, another athletic conference’s profile is changing.
The Big East officially announced on Friday that the Catholic 7 schools will leave the conference on June 30.
In this Outside The Lines podcast, former UConn head coach Jim Calhoun shares some of his favorite Big East memories and his thoughts on the future of the NCAA with host Bob Ley.
ESPN’s College GameDay is on hand for the last Big East regular-season Syracuse-Georgetown game today (12 p.m. ET, ESPN). It’s the opener of a CGD doubleheader; the crew will be in Chapel Hill, N.C. for the nightcap when Duke visits North Carolina.
On the women’s side, Big East Championship Week coverage starts Sunday, March 10, with three quarterfinal games on ESPNU and an exclusive game on ESPN3, along with the semifinals on ESPNU and the only women’s title game to be aired on ESPN.
ICYMI: Highlights from the past week on Front Row
• ESPN Radio listeners went “green” for Friday’s edition of Mike and Mike in the Morning. Regular co-host Mike “Greeny” Greenberg welcomed guest co-host Seth Greenberg to the show as a fill in for the absent Mike Golic.
• Wright Thompson’s recent feature on Michael Jordan lead to nearly 2.5 million page views across ESPN.com and ESPN mobile web sites. ESPN.com Editor-in-Chief Patrick Stiegman shared more insight on ESPN’s approach to feature storytelling across platforms.
• ESPN and Full Sail University unveiled the new Full Sail University Sports Lab Powered by ESPN as part of a celebration of their collaboration. Check it out here.
• Columnist Chris Jones tells the story of a young tennis pro stepping away from the sport she loves due to an ongoing bout with depression in ESPN The Magazine’s latest issue, “One Day, One Game.” He shares some background on the piece.
Row of Four
Our favorites from across ESPN over the past week
• From Grantland: MLB’s Breakout Brigade
• ESPN.com’s Howard Bryant talks “The sports bubble”
• espnW’s Sarah Spain: Women as sports analysts? Yes, we can
• Enjoy an array of photos in this gallery from ESPN Images.